Analyzing demographics and psychographics is an incredibly useful tool to assist in every aspect of feasibility testing, new product development, and simple site selection. The process used to be cumbersome, and not for sissies! But since the advent of MapPoint, almost anyone can do a simple version of a demographic exercise.
The Beneficial Business Features of MapPoint:
- MapPoint has an incredibly easy demographic feature. Choose up to 16 different demographic points at once – such as population, income, household size, and age – and then instantly MapPoint arrays these features by state, county, city, MSA, zip code, or even Census tract.
- A shaded map will show the various areas by any single demographic chosen – such as number of businesses per zip code, teenagers in a particular census tract, or household expenditure patterns for any city in the United States.
- Once the demographic factor is selected and mapped, a radius of any number of miles around a site can be created and then instantly exported to an Excel Sheet. With the numbers in Excel, manipulating data to get a clearer snapshot of the type of customers in or around the site is simple.
- Radii can be adjusted, expanded or a second radius created and then re-exported for a new area into another Excel Sheet. By simply copying and pasting new numbers into the first Excel sheet and repeating for other locations or radii, an instant comparison of multiple locations is created.
- MapPoint can also find and map competitors. The map will not only list a fairly accurate number of competitors within a preselected distance from your business, but it will also pinpoint the exact distance of a business from your site, as well as their address and phone number.
- You can import data from an Excel Sheet, and thus map multiple addresses. This is an ideal tool to determine where the customers on a mailing lists are actually located.
- Another useful feature in MapPoint indicates expenditure per household for various products such as electronics, books, food, etc. This information can also be narrowed to a particular radius and census tract, thus allowing a better picture of how much money people in your area spend in a year on your products.
- Plus, on top of all that, MapPoint offers a GPS tool, and driving directions can be created based on shortest distances, preselected locations, and fastest routes. It can also calculate the cost of gas required to visit those locations.
BELOW IS A MAPPOINT INCOME DIAGRAM FOR A LOCATION IN GLENDALE
Very simple. But you might have some questions. If you do, call or email me. (firstname.lastname@example.org, 805-640-1060) I’ve been doing this for 20+ years, with or without MapPoint!